Music Monday - What Album Inspires You?

Hey ya'll. I hope everyone had a great weekend and that you're all starting off to a wonderful week. 

This weekend I did a little writing. I started on 4 songs this weekend. It was mainly just hooks that came to mind. I've set aside some time today to sit quietly and just feel whatever it is that the song wants me to feel in hopes of coming up with some lyrics. One is currently titled, "Is It So Hard To Love Me" and then the one my heart strings keep pulling at is tentatively called "How Do I". I'm working to connect with a friend who can help me get a nice sound so I can share at least one of these works in progress with you. If it doesn't pan out, I'm going to pull out my little cheap mic and record here on my laptop. As I said that my mind went to a few artists whom I love and respect so much.  Their comment about "real music" broke my heart a little. I just don't think "real music" can be defined. If it's music to the listeners ears, touches them in some way or just moves them, then it is music.
Oh well, back to my regular train of thought. So yes, if things do not pan out with my friend, I'm going to work with what I have right where I am. :) I love singing and songwriting so much. I want to make sure I don't leave this beautiful earth without doing what I love and sharing it. I think sharing our talent is a part of our purpose.

As I thought of these many thoughts this weekend. I started to think about albums that have inspired me. There are so many musical works of art that have moved me in some way. I could go on and on about each however thought I should narrow it down to one or two. I have to say that my two favorite albums are Corinne Bailey Rae's self titled album and Janelle Monáe's Metropolis.

It's hard to believe that the Corinne Bailey Rae's album came out 9 years ago. And Janelle Monáe's Metropolis was released 8 years ago. Wow!

Corinne's album is just so enchanting, lyrically and also with its instrumentation. And I have to admit that I am a little biased here and absolutely love that she as a woman kept control of her music's sound and what she wanted out of her album. I love this video where Corinne shares her decision not to accept Quincy Jones invitation to produce her album "The Sea". The producer she worked with shares what people may be surprised to know about her recording process {See 10:10 - 11:55}.
And then there is the petite powerhouse Janelle Monáe and Metropolis. It was tough choosing between Metropolis and The Archandroid. I narrowed it done to Metropolis because I find myself singing lyrics from it the most. The lyrics in many of her songs tell a story that I am familiar with and it tells the story in a way that is amazing to me, kind of like hitting tough topics in a pop opera kind of way.

 Well, those are the two albums that are currently inspiring me. Actually they have inspired me for some time now. I know those who know me are surprised that I did not list a Michael Jackson album. While his body of work moves me like no other, these two women and their art are also so amazing to me. I would love to hear what album or albums inspire you.
 


Popular Posts